Friday, August 05, 2005

Thermopolis

Thermopolis made the itinerary beacuse we needed a waypoint between Deadwood and Grand Teton/Yellowstone and because I thought (bad thinking, I think) that approaching those two national parks from the south would be the best. And the fact that Thermopolis gets its name from hot mineral springs and has cool dinosaurs to look at also appealed to me.

Well, all Thermopolis turned out to be good for was a few laughs, updating the blog regarding the Black Hills/Badlands visit, getting the laundry done, and getting an overpriced dinner.

We stayed at the Rainbow Motel...

....which has some interesting rules...

...seems like that they have a novel problem with "sneak-ins".... I made sure I spelled Genna's name right and everything. The next morning we went to the laundromat with this wonderful name...


Again, we found another novel problem -- "Greasers!" I suppose this refers to the bikers who probably come through Thermopolis to the Strugis Rally is seems to be the regional obsession in a 250 mile radius from Sturgis and is taking place this week. I see G. Gordon Liddy is going to be there so I'm missing seeing him for the third time (saw him in 1980 and 1983). Anyway, the laundromat is segregated, Jim Crow-style between "greasers" and non...
So bikers have one set of machines for their oily jeans etc. and then there are machines for the rest of us....thank you Wishy Washy for our very clean and non-greasy clothes. I hope the concept expands to the fast-food industry. Goodbye Thermopolis and Genna thanks you for your 18 inch soft serve ice cream cones right beside the motel...