Sunday, July 24, 2005

Black Hills & Badlands Part 3 - Dueling Sunsets

Ok. Now we were both armed with our digital cameras and we're ready to go for the sunset. I saw that the sun was getting low fast. In fact, it had disappeared behind a huge cloud on the horizon. I saw that it would re-emerge and then give us about 15 minutes of good shooting. So I started to race up the loop road to the spot we had previously decided would give us the best sunset shots. And I mean race...I was already rehearsing what I was going to tell the park ranger should we be pulled, "Yes sir, I understand, well, you see we're both photographers, actually made a living at it at one time and you see, it's almost sunset...." I decided that speech might not work. Then I remembered getting chastened by a cop in Asheville a couple of weeks ago...

...I was with Reid, my former student teacher, who was working with me at the Computer Literacy Camp. Reid mistakenly went the wrong way up an exit ramp to get to a convenience store. As we were exiting his jeep, the cop pulled up. Reid immediately went into character, "I APOLOGIZE officer, I didn't see the arrows until it was too late, I really APOLOGIZE ..."

I asked him what's up with the "APOLOGIZE " business, I asked. He said, "Every idiot that's pulled says, "I'm sorry, I'm sorry -- it just isn't sincere; you have to say "apologize" if you want it to be sincere and get out of the ticket." The master had learned from the student: "Strong the Force is with this one", Yoda thought.

Back to the sunset. We made it in time and started clicking. It's interesting how different our perspectives were. Here's what I think were the best of Genna's

Maybe you can click to get a larger image -- sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't in Blogger.

Here are my favorites of the ones I shot


Genna's are obviously more creative.

And then the thunderstorm came...

We had read about the infamous Badland's thunderstorms and now it looked like we were going to experience one. I wanted to try to capture some lightning strikes...quite tricky, especially with a temperamental digital camera. I got a few but they were mostly lame and all grainy - 8 secs exposure makes the camera go a little nuts...here's the best one


We went back to the Inn as the winds were picking up to 30mph with some stronger gusts -- the tumbleweeds flying across the highway were a riot. And the subsequent lightning storm with the spires of the Badlands in silhouette....awesome.